Use of Redusystems
Application with a machine
Application with a machine, if appropriate for the location, is always preferred because it efficiently achieves the best (quality) layer. And the equipment is designed to exactly suit the product.
Photo 1. Top Cleaner as a spraying machine
Advantages of applying ReduSystems products with a sprayer:
- Nice and even spraying; the coating is applied equally thick.
- No loss of product through excessive spraying.
- Flexibility; it’s possible to only coat one side of the greenhouse.
- Less dependent on weather conditions than when using a helicopter or light aircraft.
- Savings compared with manual application; without any losses, spraying saves up to 10%.
- The ability to brush beforehand guarantees optimum light transmission and better adhesion to the roof.
- Mechanical application is a very safe way of working.
Photo 2. Redufuse applied with a sprayer
- A pump set comprises: A diaphragm pump that is suitable for pumping the solution; one or more mixing containers; mechanical mixers in the mixing container(s); a high pressure hose from pump set to sprayer.
- We recommend using a diaphragm pump with a minimum capacity of 40 litres per minute at 40 to 50 bar.
- Worldwide there are only a few suppliers of these sprayers. Well-known names are Van der Waay and Besseling.
- A widely used and highly professional sprayer is the Top Cleaner by Van der Waay. This machine can also be used to brush the greenhouse.
Photo 3. Pump set with diaphragm pump, mixing container and mixer.
General instructions for use
- Determine the amount of water and ReduSystems product required for the desired coating. Work with a quantity of spray solution of about 1000 to 1500l per hectare (spray solution = ReduSystems + water). This can be varied based on the type of nozzle, running speed and the settings of the total spray system.
- Check that the mixing container has sufficient capacity for the total amount of spray solution. Fill the mixing container with the required amount of clean water.
- Empty the chosen number of buckets into the mixing container with water. Because there is hardly any loss when spraying mechanically the amount of ReduSystems product can be reduced by 10%.
- Mix the spray solution with sufficient force to create a homogeneous liquid. Check this by inspecting the bottom of the container for the presence of ReduSystems concentrate by scraping the bottom with a long object.
- To take full advantage of the properties of the ReduSystems products the selected number of buckets should be carefully distributed over the surface that requires coating.
- Only spray under the right conditions as described below.
- During spraying ensure there is sufficient pressure at the spray nozzles. Usually a pressure gauge (manometer) is mounted on the spray booms. The pressure should be adjusted to the type of nozzle that is installed (see 8). In practise, spraying is usually carried out with a nozzle pressure between 2 and 4 bar.
- The type of nozzle should be suitable for the amount of spray solution to be sprayed. Often sprayers are equipped with Teejet nozzles from the XR110XXVK series.
- During spraying the driving speed, pressure and the amount of fluid released over the entire spray boom are adjusted to each other in order to apply the required number of buckets over the selected surface area as evenly and precisely as possible. It is possible to make these calculations so that the total amount of spray solution is exactly and uniformly sprayed over the intended surface area. It is best to ask the sprayer manufacturer for assistance when making these calculations.
Conditions that affect the quality
The following are general points to consider and will affect the final result regardless of your chosen form of application.
- Don’t apply in poor drying weather conditions. The coating may slide further over the glass creating an uneven layer. The coating that is higher up is thinner and therefore less hard-wearing.
- Don’t apply to a wet roof or during precipitation. There is a high risk of the coating being damaged by rain or being washed away completely. A coating that is applied to wet glass is in fact diluted further so there will be less product which will have subsequent consequences on the properties of the final coating.
- Don’t apply when precipitation is expected within eight hours. The risk of damage by rainfall is high.
- Don’t apply ReduSystems products when the temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius. The drying time is much longer. The coating should not be wet as night approaches because condensation may (partly) remove the layer. Don’t apply ReduSol at a temperature lower than 5 degrees Celsius.
- Don’t apply during strong wind as the spray solution may be blown away. Loss of the solution leads to a thinner layer than intended which will alter the properties. In addition, the coating can splash surrounding objects as it is carried away by the wind.
- The best result is obtained when applied to a clean greenhouse roof. A clean surface produces a higher light transmission and improves durability.
The main reasons for choosing a certain ReduSystems product are the benefits the effect of the product has on your crop. When using it you aim to maximize these advantages. These can be in different areas although often the most important are an increase in productivity or an improvement in quality. The desired effect is directly proportional to the number of buckets used on the surface and the circumstances and technology used during the application. We recommend a certain number of buckets for a reason: Experience and studies have shown that our recommendation is ideal for the given conditions and crop. The use of more or less buckets by choice or incorrect application (loss of product during application, uneven spraying, inappropriate weather conditions, etc.) therefore has consequences. These are:
Using fewer buckets than recommended:
- The desired effect on your crop will be less or non-existent.
- When using shading products there will be insufficient protection against radiation causing the temperature to rise too high.
- The coating is less durable and will be rinsed off sooner by rain. In addition the coating will become so thin that its effect will be minimal.
Using more buckets than recommended:
- In some cases the desired effect will be enhanced but in most cases there will be a reduction of light for growth.
- With shading products it can lead to too little light or the temperature can drop too low.
- The coating is more durable and therefore will last longer. Sometimes it provides too much shade during the last few months when there is less light.
The ReduSystems product wizard ‘ReduWizard’ recommends the ideal product and the quantity to use for every crop. The advice from ReduWizard is based on statistical data from hundreds of weather stations around the world. This data is combined with the information input by the user in order to provide a unique recommendation.
Safety and environment
Safety of ReduSystems Coatings
- In many countries it is illegal to work at a high level without safety equipment. Therefore walking on a greenhouse roof without the required safety equipment can be an offence!
- If ReduSystems coatings come into contact with the skin or eyes rinse off with water. With ReduClean there are additional recommendations for use.
- If ingested contact a doctor.
- ReduSystems products are harmless to the environment.
- A high concentration of ReduSol in water can lead to an unwanted, temporary form of whitening.
- Test the suitability and vicinity of waterways into which the ReduSystems products will flow. Prevent this if necessary.
- Test the suitability of the reservoir water after the inflow of ReduSystems products.